Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by Focker, Jul 23, 2016.
Are you welding the sheet metal with TIG or oxy-acetylene?
MIG Is all I have. Weld and grind. Maybe I’ll change my name to Weldgrindpaint!
I can make that happen.
I backed her out of the shop to sit in the sun, I Hope. Gotta Roll down the windows & the sun helps. Replaced the leaking radiator cap.
Drained the trans and tcase for the CJ2A and found caramel in there lol. Pulled the top cover for the transmission and found some rust but not an excessive amount. Will be filling with appropriate fluid and doing some short interval changes.
Made for a nice design in the oil drainage.
What causes the Carmel effect?
local machinist made some new frame horns (originals were ripped and cracked at spring hangers). Got those welded in and plated, bumper, spring hangers, and saggy box tacked in place. Waiting on a universal joint to finish the steering swap.
Posted this picture the other day of the rear frame mod I made to bolt the new bumper onto. Made from a 3" piece of 2x3" tubing cut in half to make 4 angle pieces.
Next cut another 4 pieces of 2x3 and this time only cut one side off to make a U. Welded 2 "U"s together to make a couple "H"s.
Bolt one side to the new frame ends and the outside will be welded to the new bumper. The bolts all line up with a new Repo Crossmember that will be between these two new parts. The nuts behind the crossmember will be welded to the bracket making it pretty easy to remove the bumper if/when necessary.
Still lots of work to make a new swing out tire carrier but I do have the needed parts here in the garage. My plan right now it to use the frame of my old swing down carrier but add a new longer bottom section so the carrier clears the tailgate.
Made use of the sun. Rubbed the top down with conditioner.
The taillight panel is welded in with holes for lights and fuel filler. The corner is ready I just think it’s better to wait until morning to dbl check my work.
That’s a lot of body lines intersecting in one place. Your work looks great!
Replaced the distributor cap. It's been broken since installed (I forgot about it) and the last day of Crusin' it started to run terrible.
I aired up the RF tire (oba ftw), went for a drive around the block, then ran out of gas on my way back. Luckily an uber stopped and gave me a lift to the gas station.
I have been running my Jeeps on water over the summer, and they are forecasting our first freeze this weekend, so yesterday I drained and flushed the CJ2A and filled with a fresh mix of water and antifreeze, and took it for a good run in the hills to get it good and mixed. I have been so focused on the CJ5 I had not driven this little Jeep for a long time, and really got a kick out of how good she sounds rumbling up the hills.
Was also fun when the transfer case popped out of gear going down a steep grade, got to test the new brakes
Started to do the same for the CJ5 and found no fluid showing in the radiator. I added water, started it up and let it warm up until the thermostat opened and got a steady stream out of the water pump. I had already planned to replace the 54 year old pump so had one on the shelf. Today I will replace the water pump and belt (which is also likely original equipment), and install a new alternator while I am at it, as the one on it barely works. Good to catch stuff like this at home instead of out on a trail.
Once finished with this I consider the CJ5 shakedown cruise as done, all systems will be in good order.
Got the 2A's front axle pulled for cleaning and inspection. Also pulled the rest of the steering and front suspension apart for rebuild.
Separate names with a comma.