Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by supertrooper, Oct 15, 2010.
I have been amazed at the holding capability of the 11" drums..
What can say? My 11' brakes on my 3B work better than the 10' power brakes in my Commando. I do have some disk brakes on an axle out there, I may have to try them.
when i got home from work on Saturday my new clutch kit was here. unfortunately when i was starting to tourqe the pressure plate bolts one of the bolt heads snapped off below flush in the flywheel. i was able to get the bolt out but it took half an hour and by then the hardware store was closed and i didnt have enough bolts the right size to replace them all. sunday morning i got new bolts and installed the clutch without anymore issues. i also measured for the throwout bearing and of course the two i already have are the wrong size so ill have to order the right one. i was able to get some 3/8 steel for the slave mount and started cutting out but it was 105* outside and even hotter in the garage so i called it quits for the day.
i had a little free time this morning so i finished the bracket and mocked it up to make sure it fits. doesn't look like it in the picture but looks like the push rod should be lined up really good with the release fork. i also ordered a release bearing from rockauto since it was more than half the price of what the local parts store wanted.
That bracket looks great!
So is that what you did, order the clutch with the raised fingers?
yeah, i cant think of the part number off the top of my head but its in the thread about another member having clutch problems. a couple other guys gave the same part number in that thread so i went ahead and decided to try it since it worked for them.
I just read this whole thread. Pretty cool.
the new timken release bearing came in the mail today so i decided to mock up the transmission and bellhousing on the workbench. of course with my luck being what it is the bearing was not the correct height. it was listed in timken's specs as 1.410" overall height but its actually 1.310". after some swearing i test fit it anyway. im getting about .800" of travel at the bearing and i dont think its enough with the extra freeplay created by the bearing being .100" too thin.
the only good news is the slave cyl bracket fits and the push rod lines up almost perfectly although the rod is a little short. i also clearanced the bellhousing and relocated the mounting hole for the flywheel cover.
some good news for a change. i decided to try an extended clutch fork pivot to see if i can get the fork travel i need to get the timken release bearing to work since it would be a hassel to return it. it didnt get delivered in time to work on the jeep last weekend but it was here when i got home from work. i just finished test fitting the new pivot and it looks like its going to work. hopefully i can get the transmission installed for the last time sometime this week.
last weekend i got a new wilwood 7/8 bore master cyl to work with the 7/8 slave and a shorter flex line since the one i had was way too long. this weekend i got the transmission installed and bleed the master and slave cylinders and now i finally have a working clutch.
Clutch setup looks great.
Just read the whole build. Looks awesome.
Maybe I missed it, but what slave cyl did you use for the clutch? I'm looking at options for my setups (Novak on the '51 - custom pull types on the '49 and '62).
its from a '83 cj7 with a 2.5 4cyl engine.
This looks real nice. Anyone got a link to the bracket plan? i need to make one for mine when the time comes.
i made my own template by tracing the edge of the bellhousing on to cardboard and measuring where the center of the fork/pushrod needed to be then drawing the rest of the bracket from there.
i havent posted in awhile so i figured i should give a little update. i decided to tear down the transfer case to clean and reseal it. since i had it sitting in the corner of the garage for awhile some grinding dust and metal chips found their way inside even though it was covered, plus it was leaking anyways. after that transfer case was resealed and installed i started working on the steering column mounts and patching and reinforcing the transmission cover panels. after i got the steering column figured out i noticed that the trans shift lever was too close to my leg so i bent the lever for a little more leg room.
i was never completely happy with the tilting passenger seat mount. when i found some heavy duty hinges at the steel yard i decided to redo the mount. the new hinges are twice as thick and mounted them so the main cross bar holds all the passengers weight instead of the pivot pin like the old set up. i also added a spring loaded pull pin and catch to the back of the seat to keep it held down tight to eliminate rattling. on a trip to the hardware store i noticed a lock that looked like the perfect size to mount in the the under seat tool box. it ended up fitting perfectly and only had to weld in the anti rotation washer.
other than that i haven't had the time to do much else. i need to put a little more effort into finding the time to make more progress and to stop trying to add more projects onto the jeep so i can get it finished.
Some very good ideas and looking good but jeeps are never finished.
Separate names with a comma.