Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by Nowherenothing, Jul 11, 2019.
Keep up the good work!
Got some parts in over the past few days and got some stuff fixed up.
Replaced the incorrect bolts in the lower hinges with the correct countersunk screws.
New hand throttle knob/cable
Got in a new gauge cluster and set to work tearing it apart to use my original face. (yes I know the temp and fuel gauges are slightly. different It's okay. I'm not THAT much of a purist)
All done! Looks good to me. Temp gauge works now, but still no fuel gauge. I guess I'll have to replace the sender.
Got a used 15" wheel as a spare from Willy's Jeep Parts, and it's even properly patina-ed!
Working on mounting the tire.
All aired up! First time mounting a tire /tube. Went easier than I expected!
Reproduction glove box insert. Still need an early style latch button. Anyone have one they're willing to part with?
New pedal draft gaskets
Yep, fixing functional items that need to be fixed.
Or just the nitpicky things most people overlook. This is a fun thread.
Never seen the 'pedal draft gaskets' installed before.
My clunker had the remnants of the spring, but it was on the inside of the cab.
Because I lack all common sense in the pursuit of originality, today I took the way too nice looking, beautifully painted (yet incorrect style) driver's side fender off and replaced it with the ratty, dented, rusty, mismatched paint original....
I'll probably end up painting it if I can find someone who will put the correct color in a rattle can for me. I'm not paying some artisan good money to slap some lipstick on this pig.
But at least it's original now!
Correct color still on the inner fenders???
Metal work is all practice buy the hammer and dolly and start beating you will get the feel of it.after you learn some get better tools they do make a difference.
I didn't know that previous fender wasn't original.
Guess I was naive to think they weren't both beaten up.
I think it makes sense. Set that fender aside, wrap it in
bubble wrap and save it for when you really need it.
What a good dog, waiting to play...
It's a later style fender with the marker light holes though
She wasn't waiting for anything
She had already walked up, dropped the ball at my feet, and was angrily barking at me from there demanding that I throw it. At least I'm guessing she was as that's her usual M.O.
More wrenching on the tux today. This time replacing the old exhaust with a reproduction
The old long pipe had broken at the muffler, and all of the hangers were held together with bailing wire. It was time.
Out came the old pipes. Surprisingly no broken bolts or heat required!
New pipes ready to go in
The one snag I ran into on this job, was this exhaust is bent to run above the transmission crossmember.
The prior exhaust ran below it, so the hanger in that spot wouldn't work. I quickly cut a bracket to fit on one of the bell housing bolts to hang the hanger from. Worked great!
Another package in the mail today from @wheelie
An early glove box door and latch. I'm still going to use my original door for now, but if I ever get the crazy idea that I want a less beat up door to paint I'll have one. Just glad to have the door latched now rather than wired shut!
Sounds great! No rattles
Awesome! Nice when you have a glove box door with the button and latch to keep it closed. We need a “What’s in your glove box?” thread, lol!
So much for patina preservation. Took off a perfectly good exhaust system
and replaced it with a shiny new one.
Judging from the photos, that exhaust was bascially intact and could've
been patched easily, even with a beer can and baling wire.
There was plenty of bailing wire there already
There's preservation, and there's masochism rolling down the road with the muffler smacking the rear axle over every bump.
It's hard to tell but those pipes are really thin in some spots.
Based on that, I'm not sure I fit in the preservation category anymore. I have said "that's good enough" far too many times
Another big project finished! (Or close to finished).
I have made a top! First time sewing, so it's not perfect, but I learned a lot, and I'm happy with the outcome. This was really a trial run and tutorial for when I tackle the much larger project of the canopy for my FJ45s bed.
Finished pic first .
To start off with I needed some bows. Looking at my mounting points I realized my jeep was closer to a CJ3A than the CJ5s or M38A1s. I decided to order the Omix Ada CJ3 bows, knowing I'd probably have to make some adjustments.
I also needed to repair one of the mounts on the tub and replace the tube. Quick job with the welder.
The rear and Middle bows were actually spot on. They bolted right up.
The differences came in the length of the bars going from the middle bows to the windshield. The CJ3 bows were too short by a few inches. Since I knew I wasn't going to be able to run doors (nor do I want doors anyway), I opted to cut the pieces that form the CJ3 door surrounds to get some extra length for the bows I was going to use.
The inspiration for the top is something inextricably linked to the Tuxedo Park. The Surrey Top! I wanted a similar open design, but without the ridiculous fringes. However, as I'm fully embracing the pink jeep lifestyle the top would be pink.
The fabric I found is Ottertex waterproof canvas in "Coral"
Here I am after already sewing in the windshield channel taking some other measurements.
The basics of the top
Windshield channel (5/16" welded flap)
Finished product with added boxing around the sides, and straps. I might add a few more straps and snaps to further secure it to the bows and prevent flapping.
I like the full canopy top look. If you ever decide to go full soft top I'm pretty sure the tiger top will allow for the same thing. I like the job you did. Great work
Separate names with a comma.