I’m finally at a point in my life where splitting wood by hand is no longer fun. Maybe “fun” is the wrong word, it was never fun, but now it feels like work. I decided to try to see if I could make the plow hydraulics on the 3b work for splitting at least the most monotonous of the woods I burn. Dry lodgepole pine is actually so easy to split, it’s hard. If you hit it too hard, it blows apart and cartwheels down the hillside. I made the platform for the wood to sit on out of 3 1/2” square tube, and it fits into the brackets on the frame for the plow with two hitch pins, and two chain supports link onto the A-frame. My first attempt was a failure. The cylinder just doesn’t have enough force on the downstroke to do the job. So, I moved the cylinder to the back side of the A-frame and modified the arm to work as a cantilever. If my math is correct, the “push” has 46% greater force than the “pull”. After this pic, I swapped the lines at the valve so the controls weren’t backwards, and I re-routed the hoses so they weren’t kinked. I ran some more linkages through the grill with a handle so I can operate it from out front.