Discussion in 'Early Jeep Restoration and Research' started by Miller Mears, Jun 7, 2019.
Old war film on waterproofing a willys. Thinking that waterproofing compound can't be good for you
As I remember it contained asbestos and you use your hands to mold it like clay.
Yes, the good old days with that smell of fresh asbestos between your fingers. Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end. Ops, sorry that's a song......
Cool film! It reminds me of modern day duct seal. We use it almost daily to seal electrical services and all sorts of things. It has many uses and is moldable like a tacky Play-Doh. I’m glad it doesn’t contain Asbestos today, at least I hope it doesn’t..
That was a lot of work!
And then at some point taken off?
It seems they are saying it didn't last long so maybe? On another note I always heard that asbestos dust is what was harmful.
As far as I know asbestos left to itself (ie siding, pipe insulation, floor tiles, etc) isn’t really harmful until it is disturbed/broken down, turned into dust, and becomes airborne like Glenn says. I wonder how harmful the asbestos compound would have been?
But I imagine as that goop dried out it released lots. I used to work in buildings that were finished with asbestos wall paneling, as long as you didn't cut or drill & put particulates in the air it it was fine.
I do have a neighbour who had a pipe insulation business, he found out a few months ago he has mesothelioma.
Separate names with a comma.