Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by rejeep, Dec 7, 2017.
Where do you get that heat shield stuff?
little bit more of an update...
Manifolds came back from Jet Hot.. and as expected the first of I'm sure several exhaust issues came about..
Driver side has extra long studs for the heat riser.. getting awful close to the clutch slave...
potentially going to find some right angle fittings to get the bleed screw and line out of the way.. may need to do some heat shielding as well..
Cleaned up and dressed the tub floor supports.. needed to free up some garage space so the tub is now sitting loosely on the frame. Fuel tank and sill supports shortly as well..
started test fitting the rest of the body work..
minimal trimming to the seat box is all that will be required..
not using the early 2a grill, need to mock up radiator for lower hose positioning..
Missed this. My novak slave is the same as yours with a cast manifold. I used a bolt to attach the heat riser/exhaust pipe and chucked the stud. I never did put a heat shield between the exhaust pipe and the slave, the fluid turns brown, so I bleed it. To do again I would fab some headers that fit right or go with a pull style slave.
I came home with a bin or various exhaust ends and bends... I looked at it for a night and wasn’t enticed I figure once it’s together and running I’ll find a shop and just pay to have it done..
So Im ignoring the exhaust at the moment...
I don’t want to get hung up on it and delay actually building the truck... I’m tripping over parts and want to start seeing a truck..
Short task list:
Bulkhead angle / sills
Brake / clutch / fuel lines
Sounds simple enough
You got this...its lookin good
Thought you -had/were looking at- some block hugging headers. That's not an option?
They didn’t clear the motor mounts..
Got to focusing on the motor this past weekend.
There were several threads about fuel lines so I jumped to dressing the Dauntless and fuel line routing.
I went fairly stock on the lines and accelerator mounting.. I knew accelerator pedal would be a challenge.. starting to figure out some options.
I also doubled back and swapped the driver exhaust manifold. Clutch slave isn’t in as bad shape and I still have adequate clearance for steering.. this should also enable me to start with the stock Y pipe for the frankenstein exhaust.
Nice to have matching manifolds now.. it was slightly bothering me..
Looks very nice.
Where is your fuel tank? I've never seen the lines off the bottom of the pump go up over the engine like that.
Common routing on the Commando with the V6.
The boys 70 they go like that. Used to be under seat tank now it’s rear mounted we just extended the plastic lines.
The Jeepster this engine came from was an auto, power steering rig.
Needed all the bells and whistles
Works out perfectly since I needed to get the lines on the passenger side for the Rover conversion. Too much clutter on the driver side
My '71 is like that, rear tank.
I guess I thought it was gravity feed to the pump.
Not the “final” version... but got the choke all figured out..
Don’t like the 90 deg bends in the tube so I’m going to smooth those out. Not running a heater at the moment so turned the intake coolant return to run parallel with manifold...
What are people’s thouhgts about running the fuel filter above the bell housing? Too much heat? I want to try and keep everything tight to the engine. Space becoming a premium.
Also decided to “keep it Jeep” with the radiator as well...
All the rover radiators I’ve tested have all
Come back with bad cores... got a new V6 aluminum unit that I think I’ll be able to fab in.
Very similar width and height, and best of all hose outlets are oriented correctly for the motor. I’m thinking some angle for new side brackets and still an electric fan..
There has been a lot going on with this truck over the summer.. admittedly I haven't done a very good job of posting progress and problems.. its getting down to final assembly and the little nitty gritty things. Engine compartment is looking full and I should be able to put power to the electrical this week.. ended up having to move the oil filter.. no matter what radiator solution I came up with, stock in my mind is always simplest.
short term goal is to have it move under its own power by labor day.
threw all the sheet metal on the other day to keep focused...
Separate names with a comma.