Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by FinoCJ, Oct 18, 2021.
I'd forgotten about those, makes sense!
Borgenson combo vibration dampener and U-Joint on end of stub shaft. To Heim Joint support. To Borgenson Double U-Joint used my own 1020 Double D shaft (I only cut the double D's on the very ends so the shaft looks round.
Saginaw 525 6.25 turn Manual steering box Double Tierod end.
It steers like a British sportscar up to 65-70mph super positive. With a 15" custom wheel made from a Joes Racing products aluminum flat dish wheel.
I ran a Flaming River single U-joint at the base of the column in my 3B for about a decade that was a much more acute angle than James' (I had to do some grinding on the ears for it to clear). There was no discernible slop in that joint when I finally replaced it with the double in the current build.
Again, I think James' current layout is fine. Keep it simple. If it does start to exhibit wear, it would not be too big a project to replace it down the road someplace.
This is the current layout in the B. I managed to keep everything pretty much in a single plane.
As is my standard default process when I am uncertain, this is the plan. I am less worried about any clearance issue with the motor mount, than I am with binding of the u-joint. But its fine on flat ground, we'll see what happens on the road and easy off-road. I have the double joint that will solve problem, but I would need to add the support carrier which I don't have, and it would most like mount inside of the frame rail where I currently have brake junction blocks etc....hopefully it will work, if it doesn't, we'll deal with it then, and I'll have to rework some brake line routing as well.
Jen joked I should just consider this first year as the 'beta' mock-up version...then in a year, we can tear it all apart again, fix what didn't work, and do a proper job on the frame and body and interior....I just want it run...
Separate names with a comma.