Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by FinoCJ, Aug 10, 2019.
ha...forgot about those 'details'....well getting into as best I can as is....
These were waiting when I got home....
Salvage ramshorn manifolds from a 70s sbc350....they are the smaller 2" collector, but given my lower rpm focus, they should be fine. I cleaned them up and took them to a local coating company for high temp ceramic coating. Color choice was an adventure...but ended on the classic silver after planning on black and then cast iron grey... They even did a bit smoothing on the inside of the ports removing some of the casting irregularities. Sounds like if you have good mating surfaces, no gasket needed between manifold and head....hope these bring the underhood temps down....just getting the rest of the exhaust system in will help with that as well....I've got 3 days to see what I can get done.
Those are similar to what my 4.3 has on the driver side. Sometimes It's nice having the manifold above the spark plugs, other times It's a hot mess.
I prefer the over the valve cover routing of plug wires with the headers, but the ramshorns will probably require the more OEM routing with long wires wrapping down the back corner of the block and then up under the manifolds....there is myriad of aftermarket wire holders to mount when the time comes to make it all nice and neat....zip ties should work for now.
I think you will still find the "over the valve cover" routing the best with those manifolds. I found running them low to the back of the block to be awkward and just as many problems avoiding hot exhaust. If you want a pair of custom rear harness brackets, I made them for the 3B engine only to find there wasn't room for them when I got the engine installed.
I wouldn't turn them down...I need to finish the manifold install and at least get an idea of how things might work. I'll be in touch...thanks!
I think this question has been asked a few times, but wondering about exhaust manifold (ramshorn) gaskets for a sbcv8....I think they came from the factory without gaskets, but of course, the mating surfaces would have been pristine. For the short while I ran headers on the sbc, I ran a sort of 1-piece pressed cardboard gasket figuring cheap headers needed all the help they can get. But now that I am back to manifolds, wondering about going without any gaskets (the mating surfaces are in good shape, but they haven't necessarily been machined flat), or using just a bit of red high Temp exhaust RTV directly on a mating surface, or going and using a dry gasket....and if gasket is recommended, any particular preference? thanks
I use standard felpro gaskets. Ron
Back in the day, when installing stock exhaust manifolds, everyone I knew, including myself, used the cardboard/foil gaskets. Usually Fel-Pro. Unlike on headers, they didn't blow out on the heavy cast iron manifolds.
Assume you guys are referring to these (of which I think I have a set sitting around somewhere):
Yup, keeping in mind the loss of clamping force is the death of gaskets. I normally install new bolts for fresher thread contact and lock washers. Also check torque until constant readings are there. Ron
Those are the ones. I never had a problem with these type with stock manifolds. Cheap headers with lightweight flanges would blow them out eventually, but stock heavy cast iron? No problem.
I think the ramshorns look good - choosing the ceramic coating color was quite the stressful process, but I think its right on. It goes to the muffler shop on tues - I am going to pay shop to build the exhaust. Will have to rework the plug wires a bit....It gets loaded on a trailer next Sat to go to Montana.
Those manifolds look good.
Is it going to drive itself on the trailer?
Yup...it drives around the block....just obnoxiously loud with no exhaust. Only has a driver seat and no trans tunnel floorpan cover, but it goes.
Damn...I couldn't have done this, especially given the time frame, but pricey....did dual exhaust exiting behind the rear wheels on each side. Trying figure out a y-pipe that stayed tucked up reasonably tight, seemed too much with the massive sm465, the front drive shaft etc. Kind of wondering if a crossover pipe should have been used, but rear driveshaft was an issue. Anyway, its quiet and now I can at least drive it around a bit while continuing to work on it.
I think it's fine without a crossover. Not a top performance build and it'll be easier to work around.
I ain't got one neither.
Separate names with a comma.