Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by Focker, Jul 23, 2016.
Picked up a friend for 300 bucks. (it has both fenders)
I replaced the 12 year old battery in my jeep with a new one from Costco. Unfortunately, the terminal posts were in opposite positions, so I had to do some rerouting of wires. The sheet of cardboard I keep under the jeep to catch leaks was so saturated it was impossible to tell what exactly was leaking. I topped off everything. The front diff and the transfer case are the apparent leakers The transmission and rear diff were already full. Then my wife and I went on a drive.
Towed a shed a mile down the road to the boys house. Bolted sis by six timbers to the bottom. They ended up about three inches thick.
The other day I decided to try and fix the shackles on my Jeep. When I replaced the bushings a while back, I realized they had to bow inward to capture the spring, and the spring perch, so it couldn't slide around on the bolt. With the sloppy steering I had, I imagined that those shackles were still allowing shift to happen even bowed inward. I bought some fender washers to use as spacers, then thought of a better idea, ordering some 1/16" UHMW plastic sheeting and made some washers to use as spacers. Pulling the shackles off the front, I spread them back out so they were straight. Ideally the spacers would have been 1/32" as i could only fit a spacer on one side of the spring/perch.
With the front done I took it for a ride. It drives much much better now. It used to change direction getting on and off the throttle. Not anymore. A lot less stressful to drive now. Another bonus is it doesn't seem to lean as much after I park it. It used to lean whichever way I had last turned after I got out. Now it is recovering as it should. I bet my shackles were too tight and/or were jamming up since the arms of the shackle were not straight. Still need to do the rears, I wonder what improvements I will see then? I ordered some 7 mil UHMW tape so both sides of the spring can ride on UHMW since I can't find any 1/32" stock. I'll pull the fronts back apart and add the tape to the side without the spacers. And while I'm at it, I'll pick up a smaller hole saw to cut the spacers out with so it looks better than my trial ones.
Since adding the spacers last week, we've used the Jeep for every errand and visit we've made other than work. Put about 200 miles on it just this past weekend. Got caught in a light rain coming home from the store.
Drove it 40 miles to visit my MIL. The trip to her home is mainly 2 lane highway through farmland. Beautiful drive. Those cows smell like money! Lady Shadetree and I both love those cool nights cruising with the top off. She often tells me to take the long way home when we are out.
This last pic also shows off my hood. It was oxidized terribly. so much that rubbing compound wouldn't touch it. So I used a scotchbrite pad and scubbed it smooth, then rubbed it with some boiled linseed oil like the hot rodders do. It looks much better now.
Through all of the driving, running 60-65 on freeway, plus a lot of city streets, I've averaged 12 MPG. Meanwhile the 258 sounds better and better as it rumbles along. Liking this Jeep more and more the longer I have it.
I had a fun drive to the body shop to have the rust and paint repaired on the cowl.
I removed the hood to make the repair as easy on the Tech’s as possible.
My windshield frame goes to the media blaster to be stripped, it has some rust but should be salvageable.
I smell fiberglass.
We did about 4 hours of trail riding Monday and my wife was real uncomfortable by the end. The passenger seat was higher and leaning back a bit more than Driver seat. I messed with the mount to the frame but was unable to make a big difference. I didn't really want to cut up the original seat frame so I did a little Fab work.
Now the passenger seat is going to be lower and straighter than the driver seat!!
I need to work on the seat mounting to the frame again, it looks like I can slide the seat back almost 3" now as well.
Looks mighty close to keeping the tool box from opening.
Oh it is mighty close. The seat mount tab on the right was a problem. I did a little grinding on the tab and a little banging on the lid. It still rubs pretty good but opens and closes.
Used the 71 to go fill all the gas cans. Spring time. Between using the Quad to wear out the dogs and mowing a couple acres of grass more than once a week, we're sucking down the fuel.
Man that is a nice looking cj5. Glad to see your taking the pups for a ride. My dog loves to ride on any thing that moves .
Shout out to HUCO commercial blasting and painting in Queenstown MD.
Cage looks great!
Mixed up some knuckle pudding and inserted it. This is a picture from doing the same last year. That's my son. For some reason he didn't want to help this year
What ratio did you use? [Ducks and runs]
Today I stuck my cut-up frame back together. There was nothing "wrong" with the frame, but my plan was to splice the center section 20" longer with some 2x4 tubing to cj6 dimensions. Based on pressure from the wife, I caved and cut into "storeable" pieces rather than leave it whole as I should have.
I'm at the point right now where I just want to get the thing solid and running. Putting the drivetrain all together now on the respliced frame , I can just swap over the tub after doing minor patching to make it solid. It won't be show quality, but it'll be driveable.
Eventually I'm planning on replacing my janky tub with a new cj6 one, and getting a new frame too.
P.s. check out the porosity in that tack! I don't think my gas was flowing.
Got under and started working on the parking brake and noticed something interesting on my Overdrive...
20200519_115714 by Joe with a jeep, on Flickr
It's housing is cracked!
Not sure how that happens.
Looks like you had a pupper friend along as well, very nice pic!
Separate names with a comma.